Goodness Gracious Me ... ANONYMOUS
Here's A Quiz For You!
There’s only one country in the world which has the honour of being able to boast each one of the following statements describing it. Can you guess the name of that country?
* A country where, on the streets, everyone seems to be in a hurry, but no one is ever on time.
* The only country where people fight to be termed ‘backward.'
* Where being one in a million means that there are 1241 poor souls just like you.
* Where you don't cast your vote, you vote your caste.
* The ABC of what sells in the land - Astrology, Bollywood and Cricket - in that order.
* Where it’s okay to piss in public, but not kiss.
* In the West people have sex and hope for a marriage. In this country, people marry and hope for sex.
* It doesn't have roads with potholes, but potholes with a bit of road around them.
* Where, to become rich, you have to become a politician, to become a politician you have to be rich.
* Where the most crucial part of a traffic light, without which it doesn’t work at all, is a policeman.
* Where the four most crucial pillars of society are – Religion, Casteism, Corruption and Hypocrisy.
* Where the only rights people get are the last rites.
* The only country where it takes 15 minutes to reach a place by walking, whereas it takes an hour by car to reach the same place.
* Where there are two types of roads: Under Construction and Under Repair.
* Where the Capitalists are greedy and the Socialists are envious.
* Where people prefer to worship female deities, but kill a girl even after a healthy delivery.
* Where an Olympic shooter gets half-a-million dollars (US) for winning a gold medal, but the family of a soldier who dies getting shot while defending the nation, gets $1600.
* A place where rules are made to be broken and roads are built to be dug.
* Where, if your land is in danger of being acquired by the government, no problem! Keep calm and build a temple there.
* The only country in the world where more fighter pilots are killed and more fighter jets destroyed during peace than in a war.
* Where any time is a tea time.
* A country which is always on a list of developing countries.
* Where you don't drive on the left of the road, you drive on what is left of the road.
* * * * *
Recognize the country? Please post your answer below. And add your own pithy description or definition, if you have another one.
June 12, 2015
Conversation about this article
1: Harsaran Singh (Indonesia), June 12, 2015, 7:23 AM.
Did you say I am the first person to guess it right? Well then, thanks for the prize! But isn't it obvious that every one of the readers will make the right guess just after going through the first three or four statements. The rest is, as we say, Indian history.
2: Gurminder Singh Gill (Thornton Heath, London, England), June 12, 2015, 7:51 AM.
3: R Singh (Surrey, British Columbia, Canada), June 12, 2015, 10:04 AM.
Bharat Mata ... where, of every 100, 99 are be-imaan.
4: Kulwant Singh (Oakville, Ontario, Canada), June 12, 2015, 10:32 AM.
It couldn't be the country with the "best culture in the world that has no place for women", could it? Or maybe it's the country where you either have to worship the sun or leave! It's a head scratcher. I request an extension for the deadline, Mr. Editor, before I can provide an answer.
5: Theodorus Singh Teekgur (The Netherlands), June 19, 2015, 8:50 AM.
India! ... A country where actually everything can be bought.